Game Dev

Just like that, today disappears.

I want to spend my time on things with more meaningful value, so I decided to stop doing things like taking care of myself, my family, and Soosooland as much as possible. But the to-do list for Soosooland keeps piling up with no end in sight, and I sometimes wonder whether Soosooland is even worth my time and effort.
When I first started making games, it was great. You say “do this” and code gets made — but not in one shot. Sometimes it took dozens of rounds of “that’s not right, try again.” Some games took more than twenty. Eventually, upload it to GitHub and they’d become proper-looking games. But now, a year later, they’ve become something I have to constantly keep an eye on.

Catching a Bug in Omok

The day before yesterday, I found a bug in Omok.
“Teacher! The Omok master is too weak. It’s making moves it doesn’t need to make and throwing away attack opportunities.”
I’m not good at Omok myself, so I even lose to beginners. That’s why I couldn’t make it well. The search ranking had gone up to 7.1, but people who searched for Omok on Google came flooding in through Soosooland’s recommendation, then left saying “the master is too weak” — and I think that’s why the ranking dropped.
Anyway, I ended up telling Claude “do this” and got the code fixed. Yesterday I met that kid and said “thanks to you, I fixed the bug,” and he was happy.

You can play the game by clicking on the image.


Catching a Bug in Trinkle

I also found a bug in Trinkle. It’s a game where you score points by drawing triangles, but kids would deliberately draw squares and pass their turn.
“You can’t draw a square! There goes your turn.”
I used to feel frustrated about that. The computer would draw a diagonal across the square and make two triangles. But thinking about it more carefully, that’s not right. Since the computer can’t intentionally draw polygons, it becomes a cheat code that only humans can use. Did the kid draw it knowing that?

So it does need to be fixed, and there are two approaches:
1. Prevent users from drawing polygons other than triangles.
2. Allow users to draw polygons other than triangles, but don’t let it pass the turn.
I decided to go with option 2 and told Claude “do this” and got the code. 
As I was about to apply the fix, my daughter said:
“People like winning by being sneaky.”
I debated for a moment, then fixed the code so players can win fair and square. 
After fixing it, I saved it to the public repository
And just like that, another day vanishes in an instant.

You can play the game by clicking on the image.


What is Soosooland to me?

Soosooland is my baby, a world I created, and I am responsible for it. While others were out playing golf, I was building Soosooland. While others were watching television, I was building Soosooland. It’s okay that every day gets erased like this.

#SoosooLand #GameDev #IndieGame #BrowserGame #Omok #Trinkle #BugFix #DevLog #AICoding #IndievDeveloper #Essay




댓글